Photo & Idea Credit: Cupcakes and Cashmere
INGREDIENTS for Vanilla Cookie
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Sprinkles or other sugar decorations (optional)
- Royal Icing (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS for Vanilla Cookie
Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and salt and beat until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg; beat until well blended, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and beat in vanilla. Add flour and beat on low speed just to blend. Gather dough into ball; divide in half. Form each half into ball and flatten into disk. Wrap disks separately in plastic and chill until firm, at least 4 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/8-inch thickness for smaller (2-inch) cookies and 1/4-inch thickness for larger (3- to 4-inch) cookies. Using decorative cookie cutters, cut out cookies and transfer to prepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. If cookies become too soft to transfer to baking sheets, place in freezer on waxed paper for 5 minutes before continuing. Gather scraps, roll out dough, and cut more cookies, repeating until all dough is used. If not icing cookies, decorate with sprinkles or other sugar toppings, if desired.
Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are firm on top and golden around edges, about 10 minutes for smaller cookies and up to 14 minutes for larger cookies. Cool completely on rack. Decorate with Royal Icing, then sprinkles or other sugar toppings, if desired. Let stand until icing sets. DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 days ahead. Store between sheets of waxed paper in airtight containers.
Recipe for Vanilla Cookie: Dorie Greenspan ———————-
INGREDIENTS for Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3-4 cup powdered sugar (use more or less depending on how stiff you want the frosting to be)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup crushed Oreos (I crushed them in the food processor to be sure the pieces would be really tiny and wouldn’t get stuck in my piping tips. If you are going to spread the frosting, it might be fun to use bigger chunks of Oreo. Also, I used my homemade Oreo cookies which aren’t standard size – so I can’t tell you exactly how many Oreos 3/4 of a cup is.)
INSTRUCTIONS for Filling
- Whip cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Gently stir in crushed Oreos.
Recipe for Filling: Cupcake Project
6771 Total Views 3 Views Today